Each spring, the WITF Central PA Spelling Bee invites 5th to 8th grade students from 10 surrounding counties to demonstrate their spelling knowledge as they attempt to make their way to the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Interested schools register with Scripps in the fall and then conduct their own qualifying Spelling Bee at their school. Winners from each of the participating schools compete in a 50 word written test and 50 word vocabulary test held at the WITF Public Media Center. No more than the top 35 spellers participate in the WITF Grand Championship Spelling Bee, an oral spell down which is then broadcast on WITF TV. The winner from that bee qualifies to compete nationally in the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Congratulations to Ria Sai on winning the 2017 Central PA Spelling Bee! Ria won the bee with the correct spelling of the word Polynesian. Ria is in 7th grade at Mechanicsburg Middle School. She hopes to be an astronautical engineer when she grows up. Ria will now move on to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee near Washington DC. Good luck Ria!
Also congratulations to the top 10 spellers (from left to right):
Champion - Ria Sai, Mechanicsburg MS/SD
2. Lucas Moran, South Eastern MS/SD
3. Rushil Negandhi, Good Hope MS, Cumberland Valley SD
4. Nathaniel Fadrigon, South Eastern IS/SD|
5. Zackary Sharkey, Southern MS, Southern York Co. SD
6. Vikram Kakaria, Eagle View MS, Cumberland Valley SD
7. Michael Watkins, Southern MS, Southern York Co. SD
8. Elias Domanski-Ferris, New Cumberland MS, West Shore SD
9. Katherine Gannon, New Cumberland MS, West Shore SD
10. Nicole Sanna, East Pennsboro MS/SD
Congratulations to all 34 spellers who participated in the 2017 WITF Central PA Spelling Bee. What an accomplishment!
Don't forget to watch the bee and test your spelling skills! The bee airs on WITF on the following dates:
Monday February 27 at 7:00pm
Wednesday March 1 at 7:00pm
Friday March 3 at 1:00pm