Smart Talk is a daily, live, interactive program featuring conversations with newsmakers and experts in a variety of fields and exploring a wide range of issues and ideas, including the economy, politics, health care, education, culture, and the environment. Smart Talk airs live every week day at 9 a.m. on WITF’s 89.5 and 93.3.
Listen to Smart Talk live online from 9-10 a.m. weekdays and at 7 p.m. (Repeat of 9 a.m. program)
Host: Scott LaMar
What to look for on Smart Talk Tuesday, January 31, 2017:
It seems as though there has been one controversy after another or at least very vocal opposition every day since President Donald Trump took office. Perhaps the most controversial issue of all is still being debated today -- the president's executive order that temporarily bans travel from seven mostly Muslim countries.
Trump said the executive order was keeping in line with his campaign promise to keep Americans safe from terrorists and described Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen as havens for those who would want to harm the United States. The president added that terrorists could come here saying they were refugees and ordered the ban until refugees could be more fully vetted.
Central Pennsylvania's Republican Congressional delegation has come out in support of the ban, with the exception of Rep. Charlie Dent. Several did say though they thought the order was not handled well and that led to confusion and immigrants being detained at airports.
However the opposition to the order has been widespread. Democrats in Congress, immigration and refugee advocates and protestors across the country have condemned the order and called it a ban on Muslims. The American Civil Liberties Union has challenged the order saying it violated the Constitutional rights of freedom of religion and equal treatment under the law.
On Tuesday's Smart Talk, we'll hear from several members of Pennsylvania's Congressional delegation, Church World Services in Lancaster that helps to resettle refugees, a law professor who specializes in immigration law and a Somali immigrant.
- Can your guests discuss the fact that this announcement was made on Holocaust Remembrance day, and he made NO comment on remembering the holocaust? - Manuel
- would foreign Koran believers AMERICANISE upon entering the Usa.? I doubt they will. - Edward
- Is it true that the Arab countries which have business deals with Trump are not included in the immigration ban? - Robin
- How can I make the most impact to help stop this executive order from continuing ? Do I call my state legislature , do I go march , do I donate money to the ACLU ? I feel almost overwhelmed by the options but I want to make sure the avenue I go , makes a significant impact. - Urja
- People see images of refugees going over borders to Europe, immigration to the USA is completely different, the process of vetting does not take days but years. The people tyring to enter USA have started their refugee application in refugee camps. This not a chaotic procedure. To get on a plane heading to the USA you are vetted again. The times when the USA was dominated but WASP culture is long gone. - Stepanka
- Three points to make. 1. There have been no terrorist attacks by anyone from the 7 countries on the list in decades. 2. Most of the 9-11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia, not on the list. One of the recent attacks was done be a couple from Pakistan, not on the list. 3. People who aided us in Iraq have been banned by the order. - Jim
- If the administration could have counted on being able to seek confidential advice from governmental agencies prior to issuing the order, awkward mistakes could have been avoided. However, leaking has become commonplace. Government workers take a loyalty oath, but the oath seems to be ignored when leaking can manipulate public opinion in a desired way. This makes government much less effective and we all suffer the consequences. - S.P. East Berlin
- I think this "Travel Ban" is a mistake. Indeed, I think the whole Trump first ten days have been full of mistakes and missteps. The lies and subterfuge coming from the White House ABOUT EVERY DIRECTIVE SO FAR is ridiculous. How can people support this president when there is such a dichotomy between what he says and what ACTUALLY IS HAPPENING? I think a breakdown of government in imminent as Mr. Trump's dictates keep rolling out. Look at Toomey and Smucker! Nothing but bland sort-of agreements as the republican party stays in lockstep with this disappointment of a leader who did not win the popular vote. He is harming the United States at home and abroad. Let's not even talk about Mr. Bannon. - Meredith, Lancaster
- If Americans are worried about their safety in our beloved country, why do we NOT have extreme vetting of all gun users? Over the years many more people have been killed and injured by Americans using guns than have been killed or injured by terrorists or immigrants to the US. - D, Lititz
Call us weekdays between 9 and 10 a.m. at
Email us at
Post a comment to our Facebook page
Support for WITF is provided by: