Smart Talk is a daily, live, interactive program featuring conversations with newsmakers and experts in a variety of fields and exploring a wide range of issues and ideas, including the economy, politics, health care, education, culture, and the environment. Smart Talk airs live every week day at 9 a.m. on WITF’s 89.5 and 93.3.
Listen to Smart Talk live online from 9-10 a.m. weekdays and at 7 p.m. (Repeat of 9 a.m. program)
Host: Scott LaMar
What to look for on Radio Smart Talk, Monday, September 30, 2013:
Too many families wait or never have discussions involving their aging parents about their wishes or the plans that should be made as they get older.
That's according to Gerald and Marlene Kaufman, the authors of the book Necessary Conversations.
The Kaufmans appear on Monday's Radio Smart Talk to address an issue almost every family faces. How they handle it is a different matter.
The book says families should address these questions:
1. Where should they live as they become less able to care for a property?
2. How will they manage their finances so that they are as prepared as possible to meet their needs as they age? Are they ready to invite one or more of their children to become their partners in making financial decisions?
3. Are they ready to invite one or more of their children to become their partners in making their medical decisions?
4. How can parents and children work together in determining when it's no longer safe or wise for the parents to drive?
5. What end-of-life decisions should parents be prepared to make? What is the best way to have those discussions?
Authors Gerald & Marlene Kaufman
Call us weekdays between 9 and 10 a.m. at
Email us at
Post a comment to our Facebook page
Support for witf is provided by: