Smart Talk

Smart Talk is a daily, live, interactive program featuring conversations with newsmakers and experts in a variety of fields and exploring a wide range of issues and ideas, including the economy, politics, health care, education, culture, and the environment.  Smart Talk airs live every week day at 9 a.m. on WITF’s 89.5 and 93.3.

Listen to Smart Talk live online from 9-10 a.m. weekdays and at 7 p.m. (Repeat of 9 a.m. program)

Host: Scott LaMar

Radio Smart Talk: Tax questions; Midstate college student takes Glamour's top prize

Written by Scott LaMar, Smart Talk Host/Executive Producer | Apr 8, 2013 8:38 AM

Radio Smart Talk for Monday, April 8:

tax return 300 x 170.jpg

April 15 is one of most recognizable dates on each year's calendar.  But unlike the other noteworthy dates of the year, it's not a holiday and in fact is a date that many Americans dread.

Income taxes on the federal, state, and local levels are due next Monday -- April 15.

Most taxpayers have already filed their returns and many have received tax refunds.  However, the Internal Revenue Service reports one in five Americans will wait until the last week to file a return.

Often the late filers have waited because they owe the government money.  That's not the explanation for everyone though.  Let's face it -- there are those who prefer to wait until the last few days or last minute to take on any significant task.

Appearing on Radio Smart Talk will be professionals from the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants to answer your questions about 2012 income taxes.  Even if you've already filed, there still are questions to be answered that could save money next year.

Do you have any questions aboiut your income taxes?

We'll also hear from Noorjahan Akbar, a Dickinson College student who's been named the grand prize winner of Glamour's 2013 Top U.S. College Woman program for her work to promote gender equality in Afghanistan. Akbar's led the first march against street harassment in Afghanistan's history, and also helped create an all-women's Internet cafe. 

Listen to the program:


Tagged under , ,

back to top
  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:08

    E-mail from Manuel:

    "I have sole custody of my daughter. However, to get that, I had to allow my ex-wife to have the right to claim her on her taxes for several years. Two questions,

    Will she need me to sign any paperwork in order for her to claim my daughter even though she doesn’t have physical custody?

    Can I, or how do I, claim the child care expenses for a child I cannot claim?"

  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:11

    E-mail from Jim:

    "Our granddaughter is a student at Milton Hershey School. Other than the school, we provide all of her support, which amounts to several thousand dollars each year. Can we claim her as a dependent, etc.?"

  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:15

    E-mail from Greg:

    "For a number of years I have coached and consulted with local high schools on a very PT basis. I always recieve a 1099 as non employee and file it as a small business. I have been claiming a laptop and vehicle mileage for this work on schedule C. I didnt do any work in 2012 and have no 1099 but will again in 2013. Do I simply not file a schedule C with zero income this year or do I say I disposed of the business?"

  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:25

    E-mail from Julie:

    "I volunteer with the Boy Scouts. We have to buy uniforms. I have also bought a uniform for a fellow leader who couldn't afford it. I have to drive back and forth to meetings, but my son is also in Cub Scouts so I would be driving him even if I were not volunteering. I buy some supplies and snacks for when the boys meet. What can I deduct?"

  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:28

    E-mail from Barb:

    "My question is, my husband is retired, and over 65. Last year I carried him on my health benefits in addition to his Medicare A & B. Am I able to deduct the premiums I paid for him? Thanks."

  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:34

    E-mail from Jim:

    "I would like to file electronic but I always need to submit extra paperwork. How do you do that?
    I like the PA efile site, it works great. Will the IRS ever do the same? I object to needing to pay $40 or more to TurboTax every year to do it."

  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:36

    E-mail from M.:

    "I advise a group of students who collect "dues" and also do small fundraising (car washes, bake sales, cleaning) for once a year event in the spring. I opened a bank account to house their money on a temporary basis. The account has an EIN number but I do not thing we filed for charitable status. The account goes as high as $2,000 through May and then get depleted to below $500. Does the presence of this account have to be reported to the IRS?"

  • Radio Smart Talk img 2013-04-08 08:38

    E-mail from Brian:

    "I recently became Treasurer for our church. Folks want some kind of acknowledgement when they make in kind contributions – everything from pencils to mileage.

    Can they ask for time volunteered if they are a professional? Is there a minimum dollar amount beyond which the IRS requires paper backup for these deductions - $10-45 in kind donations? How much specificity need be on the acknowledgement?"

  • Lori img 2013-04-08 08:51

    We purchased a home in August 2010 to rent to our daughter. She moved in December of 2011. We put the house on the market & sold the house in May 2012.

    Turbo Tax does not allow me to enter it as a sale and take the rental loss, deduction of rental expenses such as utilities & repairs, etc. unless I enter 1 day of 365 as a rental.
    Not sure what to do in this case.

    Thank you for your advice.


Give Now

Smart Talk Sponsors


Smart Talk Road Trip Sponsor

Roof Advisory Group Logo

witf's Public Insight Network

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »