WITF recognizes that transitions can be tricky. To help support families and children in the transition from preschool to kindergarten, WITF has partnered with community agencies and sponsors to create an annual event that provides families with useful information and gives the soon-to-be kindergartners a day full of fun and memories. WITF's annual August event, celebrates the newest, incoming kindergarten class, and typically draws over 500 family members and kindergartners to the Public Media Center. For more information call 717-910-2806, M-F 8am-5pm.
Sometimes, we could all use some ideas to extend our kindergartner's learning at home. Check out this information regarding "Environmental Print":
You might hear this phrase when talking to your child's teacher about print that regularly occurs in your child's environment, like the brand name on cereal boxes or the logo on a store you commonly visit. Recognizing this familiar print can make your child feel more confident in his or her ability to "read".
Ideas To Try
• Take your child with you to the grocery store and have her match a coupon to the item on the shelf you are buying.
• Look for the first letter of your child's first name on billboards or store signs and point the letter out. "I see your letter!"
• Make a book of environmental print that your child can "read" by saving the front of cereal boxes, labels, tags or logos that your child can recognize. Glue them to sheets of paper and staple the paper together. Listen to your child "read" his book to you.
• Include real items in your child's play like grocery ads, empty food boxes, and menus.
• Point out things like Stop Signs that your child can read while you drive.
This information is available on an Idea Card families can pick up at Ready, Set, Go...Kindergarten on August 13 from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Idea Cards can be collected from various booths at the event.
Pick up 7 more idea cards with suggestions related to math, science, the arts, fine and gross motor skills, and others.
Come celebrate this milestone for you and your child at Ready, Set, Go...Kindergarten!
Saturday, August 13, 2011
9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Public Media Center
4801 Lindle Road
Harrisburg, PA 17111
At this free family event designed specifically for you and your soon-to-be kindergartner you can:
- Create fun arts and crafts
- sit on a real school bus
- meet PBS characters and community helpers
You'll also be able to ask questions and connect with resources to help your child be successful in school!
Published in Ready Set Go Kindergarten
Support for witf is provided by: