This week on witf TV:
- We begin a new comedy/drama with Death in Paradise Sunday at 10:00pm. Richard Poole is sent to the tropical isle of Saint-Marie following the death of a fellow British detective. Poole must try to solve the case, despite problems of sun, sand and lost luggage.
- Tuesday October 15 at 8:00pm - Superheros: A Never Ending Battle - Follow the fortunes of superheroes, from the Depression through Superman's television debut.
- Thursday October 16 at 8:00pm - Join us for a very special edition of Smart Talk. This is the final episode of the 14 year run. We'll take a look back at some of the defining stories over the years.
- Saturday October 18 at 9:00pm - Doc Martin - On the final episode of season 3, Martin manages to offend the local vicar who is due to conduct Martin and Louisa's wedding ceremony by suggesting he has a drinking problem. Season 4 begins next week on witf.
- Expanded TV Listing Highlights...
Hampton Court is the ultimate royal pleasure palace embodying the indulgent and grandiose kingship built by Cardinal Wolsey and developed by Henry VIII. Tour its rooms, chart King Henry VIII's decline from fit young warrior to bloated womanizer and recall the vivid stories of the ladies who became his queens. Learn how William and Mary demolished half of the Tudor palace to replace it with an exquisite baroque structure, making Hampton Court one of the most unusual palaces in the world. Go beneath the brick and stone of this true pleasure palace and now thriving tourist location to uncover an abundance of art and stories that bring Hampton Court alive. Join us for Secrets of Henry VIII's Palace Sunday October 20 at 8:00pm on witf.
Coming up on witf FM:
- Be part of the fall membership campaign and support the news and information programs you regularly enjoy on witf FM with your gift as a sustaining circle member. Sustain your support with easy monthly payments of 5, 10, or even 25 dollars a month. Support witf today...
- Ahead on Smart Talk a conversation with capitol reporter Brad Bumsted to talk about his new book Keystone Corruption, we meet another author of a book on the 75th anniversary of Superman, and non-governmental organizations that try to make an impact. All next week on Smart Talk on witf FM.
- Celebrate StoryCorps' first decade with a special retrospective hosted by NPR's Scott Simon and StoryCorps founder Dave Isay on witf. Dave and Scott revisit some of the most beloved conversations, and go behind-the-scenes of a StoryCorps interview. Join us for Storycorps - Ties That Bind Sunday October 13 at 7:00pm, with a repeat Thursday at 7:00pm.
- The Pennsylvania Dutch developed many superstitions to ward off spirits and cure ailments. Over the years, some of the practices have become popularized and can be seen in homes throughout the world. Here is a sampling of some of the most common superstitions.
- The NFL is under assault: thousands of former players have claimed the league tried to cover up how football inflicted long-term brain injuries on many players. What did the NFL know, and when did it know it? Frontline reveals the hidden story of the NFL and brain injuries in a special two-hour investigation. Watch it in full online here.