News

Jurors to mull charges against 2 in 2013 activist DJ slaying

Written by The Associated Press | Dec 16, 2018 8:00 AM
courtroom istock 600x340.png

(Wilkes-Barre) -- Jurors begin deliberating Monday in the trial of two men charged with killing a popular disc jockey outside a northeastern Pennsylvania bar five years ago.

Prosecutors in Luzerne County say 29-year-old Roberto Battle and 37-year-old David Nealy had been kicked out of the now-closed Outsiders Bar earlier in the evening in 2013.

Authorities said shots were fired into a crowd outside the bar, killing Michael Onley, who performed as DJ Mo and had rallied against gun violence.

Nealy took the stand Friday against the advice of his attorney and said he wasn't aware that Battle would open fire and didn't know the shots were coming from him, an idea ridiculed by the prosecutor.

Battle's attorney, Allyson Kacmarski, pointed the finger at a mutual acquaintance whose gun was used.

Published in News

Tagged under , , , ,

back to top