Northern York Co. Regional Police officer lawfully used deadly force in church lot, DA says

Written by Ted Czech/The York Daily Record | Sep 5, 2018 3:45 PM

Gregory Lynn Stough (Photo: Submitted)

(Undated) -- York County District Attorney Dave Sunday ruled Wednesday that a Northern York County Regional Police officer's use of force in a deadly shooting on Jan. 6 in Manchester Township was lawful, according to a news release.

Gregory Lynn Stough, 27, was shot and killed by a Northern Regional officer after he would not comply with police's commands and then used his car to trap another officer, Mathew Cicale, the release states.

"Believing Officer Cicale's life was in jeopardy, the initial responding officer drew his service weapon and fired at Greg Stough, striking him multiple times in the head," according to the release.

The news release did not mention the name of the officer who killed Stough.

Pennsylvania State Police conducted the investigation, the normal protocol for officer-involved shootings in York County. Northern Regional and the officer involved cooperated with the investigation, according to the release.

Early-morning encounter

About 3:21 a.m. Jan. 6, a Northern York County Regional Police officer spotted a silver Pontiac Bonneville, with its headlights on, in the parking lot of the Stillmeadow Church of the Nazarene, 400 Stillmeadow Lane, Manchester Township. 

The officer parked behind the Pontiac and found Stough, of the 200 block of Dicks Dam Road in New Oxford, asleep at the wheel. The officer told Stough the church does not allow people to park their vehicles in their lot overnight and suggested another place.

Running Stough's name through a database, the officer found he was wanted on four traffic warrants. Northern Regional's policy is to arrest any wanted persons with whom they come in contact. At some point during the stop, Cicale arrived to help, the release states.

"Greg Stough verbally refused the officer's commands to exit his vehicle and revved his engine instead," according to the release.

That's when Cicale walked up to the Pontiac's driver's side and opened the door in an attempt to get Stough out. Stough drove his vehicle in reverse, pinning Cicale and "forcing him backwards at a high rate of speed," the release states.

The initial responding officer drew his gun and fired 14 rounds at Stough. The Pontiac then moved forward toward the officer, ending up in a field to the south end of the parking lot.

Both officers checked on Stough and tried to provide medical aid, but saw a gunshot
wound to his head and that his chest was not moving. Medical personnel arrived and confirmed Stough was dead.

"The investigation conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police clearly indicates that the facts and circumstances of this case support the use of deadly force and therefore do not warrant any criminal charges against the officer involved," the release states.

Days after his death, Stough's family said they weren't sure why he was at the church parking lot. Stough had some trouble with the law and with drinking but had recently been trying to turn himself around because he has daughters, his sister said shortly after his death.

This story comes to us through a partnership between WITF and The York Daily Record

Tagged under , , , , ,

back to top