News

Apartment complex fire sends dozens out into bitter cold

Written by The Associated Press | Jan 1, 2018 5:51 AM
fire_line2.jpg


(Yeadon) -- A fire apparently caused by a malfunctioning transformer box at an apartment complex forced dozens of residents out into the bitter cold.

The fire was reported around 2:30 a.m. Sunday at the Forrest Creek Apartments in Yeadon, Delaware County.

Residents of one building said they heard an explosion and noticed smoke. Firefighters soon arrived and eventually determined that a transformer box mounted on the front of one building had shorted out, causing the small fire.

Crews evacuated the building and cut off power to the complex's other buildings, forcing the evacuation of 84 apartments.

Many residents sat in their vehicles or stood outside, huddled under blankets, until buses arrived to take them to Yeadon Borough Hall.

No injuries were reported.

Tagged under , ,

back to top

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »