News

Ruling raises questions about sex offender registry's future

Written by The Associated Press | Jul 23, 2017 9:54 AM
judicial_center_Pennsylvania_supreme_court.jpg

The Pennsylvania Judicial Center at the state Capitol in Harrisburg. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

(Harrisburg) -- Changes are coming to Pennsylvania's sex offender registry as a result of a state Supreme Court decision issued last week, but experts say it's unclear exactly how they will play out.

The justices said 2012 changes to the registry that expanded and toughened reporting rules under the state's Megan's Law can't be applied retroactively.

They ruled in favor of Jose Muniz, convicted in Cumberland County of two counts of indecent assault of a 12-year-old girl.

A state police spokesman says the court's decision may result in the removal from the registry of sex-crime offenders who committed their crimes before the
new version of the law took effect five years ago.

By one estimate, about 4,500 offenders who were already on the Megan's Law registry in 2012 were reclassified.

Published in News

Tagged under , ,

back to top

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »