Miners return to Somerset County site of July 2002 Quecreek rescue

Written by The Associated Press | Jul 31, 2017 4:36 AM

FILE PHOTO: Former Pennsylvania Governor Mark Schweiker, left, sits with former coal miners, Thomas Foy, center, and John Unger, who were two of nine miners rescued on July 28, 2002, after being trapped for 78 hours, 240 feet below ground in a flooded portion of the Quecreek Mine. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

(Somerset) -- Robert Pugh says he doesn't like coming back to the area of Somerset County that still gives him "goosebumps" 15 years after he and eight other miners were rescued after spending more than three days trapped in a flooded mine.

But he made an exception over the weekend and returned to the Quecreek Mine site for the first time in a decade to see fellow miners and community members -- and especially to thank those who had a role in saving his life.

"I want to see some people who rescued me, a lot of people who prayed for me and guys I haven't seen for a long time," he said.

Miners broke through stone into the uncharted mine shaft on the night of July 24, 2002, releasing millions of gallons of water and trapping them more than 200 feet below the surface. Crews drilled a small shaft and lowered a small metal capsule, bringing them up one by one until the last was lifted to safety early on the morning of July 28.

Pugh was among four of the nine rescued miners who spoke with reporters Saturday during a 15th anniversary community celebration.

"Well, it's 15 years I've been alive. I like that," Pugh said. "I mean, we all should have been dead down there."

Fellow miner Thomas "Tucker" Foy returns every year for the celebration to thank the rescuers and volunteers. He said he doesn't particularly like hearing the rescue story because it "brings back too many memories."

But, he said, there isn't a day that he doesn't think about it. "You never forget it," he said.

Pugh and John Unger talked about their emotions when facing death in the flooded mine, especially when they wrote letters to loved ones and sealed them in a container.

"The lowest point was when we wrote farewell notes to our families," Unger said. "We were getting ready to die."


FILE PHOTO: A visitor to the Quecreek Mine Rescue Visitors Center, in Somerset County, looks at the rescue shaft that was used to pull nine miners to safety on July 28, 2002, after they were trapped for 78 hours in a flooded portion of the Quecreek Mine. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

Hope was kept alive by the muffled sound of the drill pounding and the faint clang of hammers on a pipe, but when the first drill broke, there was 18 hours of agonizing silence.

"You have a tendency to think to yourself, 'They may have given up.' It was wrong to think that way, but that's how I felt," miner Dennis Hall said.

More than 10,000 people a year visit the rescue site, including tourists who have come from as far as Belgium, Italy and Australia, according to Bill Arnold, executive director of the nonprofit Quecreek Mine Rescue Foundation.

"People want this positive outlook. People want to know that when we pull together as Americans -- as humans -- for a common goal that we can achieve miraculous things," Arnold said. "I think people long for something positive and encouraging in their lives."

After more than three decades in dark mines, Pugh said he now loves mornings and daylight, and he's grateful for what he called his second chance.

"I just think people ought to believe in miracles. I never believed in miracles until I was one," he said.

Published in News

Tagged under , , , , , , ,

back to top

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »