News

Sandusky forcefully denies sexual abuse of boys

Written by The Associated Press | Aug 12, 2016 10:56 AM
Sandusky_August_2016.jpg

(Bellefonte) -- Jerry Sandusky is making a forceful denial of the child molestation charges for which he's been convicted and says it wasn't his idea to waive his right to testify during his 2012 trial.

The former Penn State assistant coach testified for an hour Friday during an appeals hearing in which he's hoping to have his conviction thrown out or get a new trial.

The 72-year-old Sandusky is disputing the allegations, saying he's never had oral or anal sex with anyone and finds the thought disgusting.

He says he learned he'd be doing an NBC-TV interview just minutes before it occurred, and that his defense lawyer strongly advised him against taking the stand.

The hearing is scheduled for three days. Sandusky is serving 30 to 60 years in prison for sexual abuse of 10 boys.

An earlier story is below:

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky has arrived at a courthouse, where he's expected to testify at an appeals hearing that he was wrongly convicted of sexually abusing 10 boys.

Sandusky had no comment Friday as he was taken into the Centre County Courthouse near State College.

The 72-year-old is arguing he wasn't properly represented by his legal team during a 2012 trial that ended with a 45-count conviction. He's serving a 30- to 60-year sentence.

Among the issues are a statement made during the prosecutor's closing argument and the decision to have Sandusky give a television interview after his arrest.

He is seeking dismissal of the charges or a new trial.

The original story is below:

Jerry Sandusky's lawyer says the former Penn State assistant football coach and founder of the Second Mile will testify during an upcoming appeals hearing about whether he was improperly convicted four years ago.

Sandusky attorney Al Lindsay says he expects Sandusky to testify at length in the three-day Post-Conviction Relief Act hearing that gets underway later today at the Centre County courthouse.

The 72-year-old Sandusky didn't take the stand during his 2012 trial, a decision that's among the issues he's raised in arguing his lawyers didn't represent him adequately.

Sandusky was convicted of sexually abusing 10 boys and sentenced to decades in state prison. Eight victims testified against him.

The three-day appeals hearing in Bellefonte will continue on August 22.

Sandusky previously lost direct appeals to state Superior and Supreme courts.

Published in News

Tagged under , , , , , , , ,

back to top

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »