News

Ammonia leak caused by high temperatures

Written by Staff Report/The Hanover Evening Sun | Aug 15, 2016 9:40 AM
Ammonia_plainville_farms.jpg

A brief shelter-in-place warning was issued around 5:45 p.m. Saturday after an ammonia leak occured at a turkey plant in New Oxford on Aug. 13, 2016. The leak was contained quickly and the warning was lifted in about an hour. (Photo: Harrison Jones)

(Undated) -- An ammonia leak at Plainville Farms on Saturday was caused by high temperatures, which caused a relief valve in the roof to malfunction, according to Nick Shaffer, Assistant Chief of United Hook and Ladder Company #33.

The company's refrigeration repair company and an emergency response team checked the area and said there should not be another incident, even with the temperatures still being high, Shaffer said.

"It was a rare occurrence," he said.

A shelter in place notice was issued at about 5:45 p.m. Saturday and lasted about an hour for New Oxford, Oxford and Hamilton Township.

The notice was a precaution. Ammonia is an irritant, which can cause respiratory problems or even frost bite if in direct contact, Shaffer said.

"People in the area were advised to shut off air conditioning and to close all openings to the outdoors," he said.

Emergency responders were on the scene until about 8 p.m. Saturday to make sure everything was working.

There were no reported injuries to employees, emergency responders or the public, according to a news release from United Hook and Ladder Company #33.

This articleis part of a partnership between WITF and the Hanover Evening Sun.

Published in News

Tagged under , , , , , , ,

back to top

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »