News

Lawsuit: Wal-Mart sold ammo used in 3 killings in Pa.

Written by The Associated Press | Jan 7, 2016 1:31 AM
walmart_exterior.jpg

Photo by AP Photo/Chris Stewart

(Philadelphia) -- Families of three people killed in Pennsylvania last year are suing Wal-Mart, alleging the retail giant sold ammunition used in the slayings to a man who was underage and drunk. 

The suit says Wal-Mart employees in Easton were negligent in selling .38-caliber ammunition to 20-year-old Robert Jordain, failing to ensure he was at least 21 as required by law.

Jordain and two others have been charged with homicide in the July 5 deaths of a man in Easton and a man and a woman in nearby Allentown.

The man who pulled the handgun's trigger that day is accused of killing seven people in two states. 

Wal-Mart said it will defend itself from the wrongful-death suit, which was filed last week in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. 

The ammunition that Jordain bought could have been used in either a handgun or a rifle, and "the law allows for rifle ammunition to be purchased by someone 18 years of age,'' Randy Hargrove, the chain's director of national media relations, said in a statement.  

Published in News

Tagged under , , , , , , , , , ,

back to top

Post a comment

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »