Colder weather brings carbon monoxide threat

Written by Craig Rhodes and Radio Pennsylvania | Dec 6, 2015 9:28 AM

(Valley Forge) -- Utility companies are warning customers to be on the lookout for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning this winter. 

UGI Utilities has recieved several reports of carbon monoxide poisonings over the last few weeks, so it's warning customers to take precautions. Spokesman Joseph Swope says the risk of poisoning goes up when people close up their homes for the winter months.

"My best advice is that if you feel that you may have carbon monoxide, number one get a carbon monoxide detector.  But if you think you may have carbon monoxide in your home, open up the windows, get some venting, get outside and get some fresh air and call for help," he said.

Swope says having flu-like symptoms, pets getting sluggish and house plants dying are all signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. 


Published in News

Tagged under ,

back to top

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »