Actor and race car driver Paul Newman left, sits in an old Indianapolis roadster driven by Eddie Sachs as CART racing driver Mario Andretti leans over a tire in Long Pond, Pa., Aug. 13, 1983.
(Long Pond) -- The future of IndyCar at Pocono Raceway is in jeopardy because of a dramatic attendance drop expected for Sunday's race.
IndyCar returned to Pocono last year after a 24-year absence in the first race of a three-year contract.
Track CEO and President Brandon Igdalsky says he plans to speak with IndyCar CEO Mark Miles and other series executives in anticipation of Sunday's race about possibly dumping the final year of the contract.
Igdalsky refused to divulge numbers, but said ticket sales "were kind of scary'' compared to last year. While the track does not disclose attendance figures, about 30,000 to 35,000 fans were estimated at last year's race.
He wouldn't guarantee IndyCar will race at Pocono in 2015.
Published in Newsback to top
Support for WITF is provided by:
Support for witf is provided by: