(Gettysburg) -- The sale of the historic Lincoln Train Station in Gettysburg is complete.
The Gettysburg Foundation has purchased the structure from the Borough of Gettysburg for $500,000.
The site is the spot where President Lincoln arrived the day before he delivered the Gettysburg address in 1863.
It also served as a hospital during the Battle of Gettysburg.
The foundation plans to donate the land to the Gettysburg National Military Park as soon as possible. But the park cannot accept the land until its boundaries are expanded by an act of Congress.
Earlier this month, the U.S. House voted unanimously to approve the land acquisition. The bill is now awaiting action in the Senate.
The station is currently being used as a downtown visitors center, and the Gettysburg Foundation plans to maintain that arrangement with the Gettysburg Convention and Visitors Bureau moving forward.
Published in Newsback to top
Support for WITF is provided by:
Support for witf is provided by: