(Reading) -- A jury in Berks County has awarded a couple $1.72 million in a malpractice case involving their 2-year-old daughter who died after contracting bacterial meningitis.
Jurors voted 10-2 late Friday in favor of Anna and Charles Takacs, who sued Reading Hospital and Dr. Duane Siberski after their daughter, Emma, died in September 2009 of respiratory failure.
The couple's attorney had argued during a weeklong trial that the hospital neglected to perform tests to rule out the possibility that the girl had a serious bacterial infection.
The hospital's lawyer, Edwin L. Stock, argued the hospital wasn't negligent because Siberski properly cared for the child.
The jury awarded the couple $860,000 for their daughter's future lost earnings and $860,000 for pain and suffering.
Published in Newsback to top
Support for WITF is provided by:
Support for witf is provided by: