The following updates are from PennDOT as of 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 12:
• Westbound Route 22 through the I-81 Exit 67 interchange is open. Access to northbound and southbound I-81 from westbound Route 22 is available. In other words, traffic leaving the Harrisburg area by way of westbound Route 22 has access to northbound and southbound I-81 and westbound Route 22/322 toward Dauphin and State College. Westbound Route 22 through the interchange, however, is limited to a single lane.
• As of 3 p.m. on Sunday, eastbound motorists on Route 22 can now continue in a single lane through the interchange. Crossovers have been built to direct the single lane of eastbound traffic across the median and onto the westbound roadway, over the westbound bridge, and then onto another crossover in the median back to the eastbound roadway. Concrete barrier separates the two opposing directions of traffic.
o From eastbound Route 22/322, access is available for the ramps for both northbound and southbound I-81 in the I-81 Exit 67 interchange.
• The ramp from northbound Interstate 83 to southbound I-81 was reopened at around 4:45 p.m. on Thursday to allow motorists headed to westbound Route 22/322 to continue to the I-81 Exit 67 interchange and take the ramp to westbound Route 22/322 toward Dauphin and State College.
• The ramp from northbound I-81 to eastbound Route 22 toward the City of Harrisburg at I-81 Exit 67 is open. This accommodates commuters and other motorists who can access northbound I-81 at Exit 61 (Route 944/Wertzville Road) and Exit 65 (Route 11/15) to continue across the George Wade Memorial Bridge to Exit 67 (Cameron Street).
• The interchanges at I-81 Exit 61 (Route 944/Wertzville Road) and I-81 Exit 65 (Route 11/15) are open to traffic. Northbound motorists can go only as far as Exit 67 for eastbound Route 22 into Harrisburg.
In the I-81 Exit 67 interchange, the following remain closed:
• Northbound and southbound I-81.
o For motorists traveling on southbound I-81 from outside the Harrisburg area, southbound I-81 is closed at Exit 70 in Dauphin County and motorists are then detoured by way of southbound Interstate 83 on the Capital Beltway to westbound Route 581 back to southbound I-81 in Cumberland County.
o For motorists approaching the Harrisburg area on northbound I-81, northbound I-81 is currently closed at Exit 59 in Cumberland County and motorists are then detoured by way of eastbound Route 581 on the Capital Beltway to northbound I-83 back to northbound I-81 in Dauphin County.
o An alternative for motorists around the I-81 closure between Exits 59 and 70 is the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76). Tolls will be waived between the Carlisle interchange (Exit 226) and the Harrisburg East interchange just south of Harrisburg (Exit 247) until I-81 is reopened to traffic.
• The ramp from southbound I-81 to eastbound Route 22 toward the City of Harrisburg.
• The ramp from northbound I-81 to westbound Route 22/322.
o This is the ramp where the tanker truck overturned and caught fire. The deck was destroyed and needs to be replaced. This can be done after I-81 reopens to traffic.
Tagged under tanker fireback to top
Support for witf is provided by:
Support for witf is provided by: