News

Judge dismisses second lawsuit in state takeover of Harrisburg

Written by The Associated Press | Jan 9, 2013 4:06 PM
Thumbnail image for CloudyHarrisburg.jpg

(Harrisburg) -- A federal judge has thrown out a second lawsuit challenging an unprecedented state takeover of Pennsylvania's financially troubled capital.

U.S. District Judge John Jones issued the order today in a suit brought by members of the Harrisburg City Council, Controller Dan Miller and Treasurer John Campbell.

Jones says the plaintiffs lack standing to pursue a claim that the 15-month-old law is unconstitutional because it violates equal-protection guarantees.

In particular, Jones questioned whether they had the authority to sue, and he noted the lawsuit lacks the approval of the City Council and Mayor Linda Thompson.

Jones also says the plaintiffs didn't show they have been harmed, and he suggests state courts are a better avenue for the lawsuit.

He previously dismissed a legal challenge by three city residents.

Published in News

Tagged under , , , , , ,

back to top

Post a comment

Support for witf is provided by:

Become a witf sponsor today »

witf's Public Insight Network

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for witf is provided by:

Become a witf sponsor today »