How to report road damage to PennDOT

Written by witf | Oct 30, 2012 8:09 AM

As daylight reveals the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, people can help PennDOT repair some of this damage by reporting locations where there are missing highway signs, shoulder drop-offs, wash outs, and other potential hazards by calling 1-800-FIX-ROAD.

Based on the telephone exchange number of the caller, calls on this toll-free phone line are automatically directed to the local PennDOT county maintenance office. Callers are asked to be as specific as possible when identifying the locations of road maintenance problems. Callers are encouraged to:

  • Report the county and municipality where the problem is located.
  • Report the state route number where the problem is located – state route numbers can be found on the small white-and-black signs posted along state roads.
  • Describe the familiar landmarks nearby in order to help PennDOT crews locate the problem.

Please note that 1-800-FIX-ROAD is not suitable for reporting traffic accidents, disabled vehicles, or other emergencies. People should call the state police or local police or 911 for emergencies.

Tagged under

back to top

Give Now

Estate Planning

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Smart Talk

National Edward R. Murrow Awards

DuPont Columbia Awards

Support Local Journalism

Latest News from NPR

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »