Dr. Jacqueline B. Sallade offers ideas for maintaining your mental health.
Always, New Year is a good time for life review, setting goals or making wishes and figuring things out. Here are some ideas I've thought or heard lately on this subject.
1. This year will be one of making decisions based on love first and other forms of self-fulfillment, success, and finance only afterwards.
2. This year, when confronted with true believers who oppose what I value, I'll ask a thoughtful question, rather than withdraw or confront.
3. Patience will be my mantra.
4. I don't always need to be happy but I want to be good. Or, real happiness may be living in such a way that I'm proud to be myself.
5. I won't engage in or enable others to engage in nonproductive, unhealthy, addictive behavior.
6. Forgiveness, tolerance, moderation, and balance rule.
7. I'll express my needs and feelings, rather than quietly build resentment or become passive-aggressive.
8. I'll remember that compromise and understanding are the keys to good relationships.
9. I'll respect other people's rights to their choices and tastes, as long as they don't hurt others, even if I don't agree.
10. I'll take care of myself when others can't help me.
11. I'll continue to learn new skills and concepts.
12. I'll pursue work but not at the expense of family, fun and relaxation.