Dr. Jacqueline B. Sallade offers advice for maintaining your mental health.
Here's a little list of some really badly managed health "care" staring me in the face lately:
1. A doctor allowed his resident to remove warts without his supervision, causing much greater scarring than necessary, then popped in to chat up the patient, so as to charge appropriately for making an appearance.
2. A young woman with narcolepsy goes unmedicated for that condition because she is awaiting a sleep apnea study first--for over a month.
3. A teenage patient took a particular psychotropic drug for a condition for which it's not usually prescribed. It seemed to help for awhile with agitation, anyway, and then wreaked havoc with her neurology over time. No one had the foresight to take her off of it!
4. A middle-aged man suffers from pain after neck surgery and is overmedicated with very powerful painkillers, despite his previous addiction, rather than sent to alternative healing, like acupuncture or psychological pain management first.
5. A long-term anxiety patient, after years of therapy, never realized that fighting the anxiety, rather than breating deeply and giving in to it, makes it worse. In a minute, he learned how to help himself.
And that's just today.....