Career Advice - A Community Blog

Erik Larson writes about the job market, resume improvement, and career advice

Types Of Travel Insurance You Need To Know About

Written by Erik Larson, Community Blogger | Jun 29, 2017 10:30 PM

When you're planning your next holiday, no matter whether you're travelling to Europe, or you're heading further abroad to experience some real culture and history in a forgotten land, one of the most important things to remember is travel insurance. Travel insurance is generally forgotten about when it comes to travelling in Europe, as many people believe that when they carry out an E111 Renewal Online, they will instantly be covered for any form of healthcare while they're in the country. But this is not the case. Here, we're taking a look at the different types of travel insurance that you need to know about, and how they might apply to you when you go abroad. Remember, travel insurance can help you in a huge range of circumstances from lost luggage and flight delays to emergency healthcare, so make sure you have a travel insurance policy before you depart!

Single Trip Travel Insurance

Travel insurance policies are pretty self-explanatory, and in this case, you will be covered for one single trip when you go abroad. This can cover an individual, a couple or even a family, which you can decide before you purchase this particular policy. While it can be expensive if you're heading on a number of holidays within a year, if you are heading on one trip only, then this may be the best option.

Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance

This is ideal if you're planning on travelling on 2 or more holidays in a single year, and it can work out a lot cheaper depending on your insurer, than if you was to book travel insurance for each individual trip. Each policy will cover a certain number of trips, so make sure that you check this out before agreeing and paying for the insurance. Generally, this will last over 12 months, but there is normally a limit on the amount of time that you can spend in one place while being insured, which is generally around 90 days.

Winter Sports Travel Insurance

If you're a lover of skiing, snowboarding or other winter sports and you're heading to the mountains this winter, then make sure that you cover yourself with winter sports travel insurance. Many other types of insurance will not actually allow you to claim if you have an accident while undertaking winter sports, but winter sports travel insurance will. If you ned to have a helicopter assist you when you're in the mountain, then you're going to end up paying a lot of money if you do not have this type of travel insurance. Unfortunately, this is an expensive option, but it is a vital one.

Backpackers Insurance

If you are a student or young person looking to go out on a gap year and backpack to a number of countries, then you might want to consider backpackers insurance. This will generally allow you to travel between 6 and 18 months, and you may also be working during this period, so regular travel insurance will not cover you for this. This can be tailored to your specific travel plans and individual needs, while also featuring a range of activities that standard insurance might not cover.  

back to top

Give Now

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »

Support for WITF is provided by:

Become a WITF sponsor today »