Many thanks to everyone who participated. We received over 300 entries!
witf, The Patriot News & York College of Pennsylvania will hold an invitation-only Awards Ceremony to announce the winners of the 2012 Central PA Magazine Writing Contest. The event will be held Thursday, March 29, 2012 from 5pm-6:30 pm at York College of Pennsylvania. The ceremony will feature a special address by York College of Pennsylvania’s Writer-in-Residence, Maggie Koerth-Baker.
Thanks again to everyone who helped make this year’s competition a huge success!
• Winners will be announced at York College on March 29, 2012
Writing Contest Sponsors:
CENTRAL PA MAGAZINE WRITING CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST
A purchase will not improve chances of winning.
CONSUMER DISCLOSURE: You have not yet won.
OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF PENNSYLVANIA WHO ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY
1. Promotion begins December 19, 2011 and ends February 29, 2012, when entries must be received. To enter submit your own original unpublished work of fiction (1500 word maximum); no poetry will be accepted (“Submission”). Submit entries to Central PA Magazine Writing Contest 2012, witf Public Media Center, 4801 Lindle Road, Harrisburg PA 17111. Submissions must include the following:
(a) Six (6) copies of your titled manuscript, typed or computer-printed, on standard white 8.5 inch x 11 inch paper, double-spaced and stapled.
(b) A separate cover page with your name, address, day and evening phone numbers and your email address. Do not include your name or personal information anywhere on the manuscript. The cover page must include the following signed statement:
“I am submitting the attached manuscript as an entry in the 2012 Central PA Writing Contest. I warrant that this manuscript has not been previously published in full or in part, and is not being considered for publication by anyone else. I agree that if my manuscript is chosen by the judges for an award, my work may be published in Central PA magazine, that witf 89.5 & 93.3 or witf TV will be free to broadcast readings of my work (or excerpts thereof), and that witf and The Patriot News may reproduce my work (or excerpts thereof), in any print, broadcast or electronic medium for promotional purposes. I agree that the editorial staff of Central PA will be free to edit and/or abridge my work as deemed necessary to ready it for publication. I will retain all other rights to my work.
(c) A stamped, self-addressed, business-size envelope for notification of results. NO results will be given by phone or email. Individual manuscripts will not be critiqued.
“Central PA Writing Contest”
Sponsors are not responsible for lost, late, damaged, illegible, incomplete, incorrect, misdirected or postage-due mail/entries. Only one entry per person/per envelope. Entrants represent and warrant that their Submission is the original work of such entrant, it has not been copied from others, and it does not violate the rights of any other person or entity. Entrant further represents and warrants that their Submission adheres to the fundamental spirit of the Promotion and does not contain any defamatory, obscene or otherwise unlawful matter or depict anyone engaged in any illegal, immoral or lewd act, any violent or pornographic material or contain any other inappropriate content (as determined by Sponsor). The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this Promotion constitutes entrantâs irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation, with or without attribution, to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display such Submission for any purpose, including but not limited to editorial, advertising, trade, commercial, and publicity purposes by the Sponsors and/or others authorized by the Sponsors, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration or the copyright in the Submission. Sponsors and/or others authorized by the Sponsors shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission.
2. All entries will be judged on or about March 22, 2012 (the “Judging Date”) by a panel of judges comprised of representatives from The Patriot News, witf, York College of Pennsylvania and a published, regional author. The judges will score entries based on the following criteria: originality (33%), creativity (33%), and quality of writing (33%). The entry with highest overall score will be declared the potential winner (in the event of a tie, the entry with the higher score in the “creativity” criteria will prevail). If potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond within five (5) days, or the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such potential winner forfeits all rights to any prize, and an alternate winner may be selected. All decisions of the judges are final and binding in all respects. First prize is $500 and publication, at Sponsors discretion, of the winning entry in Central PA Magazine in Summer 2012 and on the web at pennlive.com and witf.org. Runner-up is $200. Winners will be announced at York College on March 29, 2012.
3. Income and other taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
4. This contest is only open to legal residents of Pennsylvania who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry, except officers, directors, members, and employees of the Sponsors, the judging organization (if applicable), or any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse), and persons residing in the same household, as such individuals. Past winners of this contest are eligible to enter again.
5. Subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void outside Pennsylvania and where prohibited. Any violation of these rules may result in disqualification. Sponsors are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this contest, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, and may modify or cancel this promotion based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability.
6. Prize not transferable. No substitutions for prize except by Sponsors in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
7. All entries become the property of Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned. By providing your e-mail address, you grant Sponsors the right to send you commercial messages and share your address with others, unless specified otherwise as indicated on the entry form.
8. Except where prohibited: (i) acceptance of prize constitutes consent to use winnersâ names, likenesses and winning entries for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes, without further compensation; (ii) potential winners may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility (including social security number) and liability/publicity release which must be returned within ten (10) days of attempted notification or an alternate winner may be chosen. If a minor wins a prize, it will be awarded to his or her parent or legal guardian who must execute the necessary affidavit and release.
9. For a list of winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Sarah Trexler, witf Public Media Center, 4801 Lindle Road, Harrisburg PA 17111 after 2/15/12 but before 8/15/12. The Sponsors of this contest are The Patriot News, 2020 Technology Parkway, Ste. 300, Mechanicsburg PA 17050, York College of Pennsylvania, 441 Country Club Road, York PA 17403 and witf, Inc., 4801 Lindle Road, Harrisburg PA 17111
Published in Contests and Giveaways
Support for witf is provided by:
Support for witf is provided by: